Check out these helpful links from the OFT
New Tenancy Checklist

During your Tenancy

How much BOND do I have to pay?

A four (4) week bond is payable in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

How does the application process work?

So you adore one of our properties – YAY! Once you have submitted your application and all the supporting documents, we will keep you in the loop as we process your application and submit it to the Landlord for their final decision.

Why was my application not approved?

The Landlord has the final decision on your application. Remember to ensure that your application is complete and all supporting documents are provided so that in the event of multiple applicants, your application stands out! If you were not the chosen applicant, be assured our team will do our best to keep the search going to find your next home.

How long does it take for you to inform me if my application has been successful?

As the final decision lies with the Landlord, this can sometimes take up to three days. We aim to try and have the answer back to you as soon as we can.

How is the monthly rent calculated? Why is it not simply the weekly rent multiplied by four weeks?

Don’t worry, you don’t need a degree for this one, just follow the below formula as set under the Residential Tenancy Act:

Weekly rental amount is divided by 7 to determine the daily rental rate, then multiplied by 365 (days per year) to determine the yearly rate and finally divided by 12 to determine the monthly rental amount.

Do I pay for the cost of utilities?

For residential properties, normally you are responsible for paying your rent and all outgoing utilities (electricity, gas, phone, internet etc).  It is your responsibility to connect your utilities and pay any associated fees included in this. Should your property have a separate water meter with water efficiency measures installed, you will also be required to pay the usage component of the rates notice. In the event of any other costs, this will be noted to you either on the advertisement or prior to signing your lease agreement.

Do I need to seek permission for someone to move in with me if they’re not on the Lease?

Yes. You need to notify US in writing if you wish to have another person reside at the property. Regardless of whether they wish to be included on the lease agreement or not, this person must complete a tenancy application form and be approved by the owner prior to moving in.

Does the landlord’s insurance cover damage or loss of my personal possessions?

No. While it is not a requirement for you to hold your own insurance, we strongly recommend that you organise your own contents insurance.

Can the rent be increased during the fixed term period of my lease agreement?

If you are in a fixed term lease, the rent cannot be increased during this period unless it has been already agreed and set out in the rent increase section on the first page of your lease agreement. However, you can be issued with a rent increase giving you 60 days’ notice in writing, advising you of a rent increase to take place AFTER your lease has expired.

What if I can’t pay my rent on time?

We all have times when money is tight or people let us down, however if you know your rent is due and you are not going to be able to pay on time, please call or email US. If you have a good history of paying on time, your property manager and landlord may show more understanding if you communicate the issue as soon as it arises. The most important thing is that you keep communicating with your property manager so that the landlord is well informed of any change of situation.

Can I get a pet?

Please don’t go buying a pet without obtaining the required written approval of the owner or managing agent. Remember that when living in an apartment the approval of the Owners Corporation is required over and above the owner’s decision.

Can I change the locks during my tenancy?

Yes. This is no problem at all, however you are required notify US if you wish to change the locks and you must provide a copy of the new key/s within 7 days of the change.

Can I get additional Keys/Remotes/Access Cards?

In accordance with the Residential Tenancy Act, each of the leaseholders will be provided with a set of keys/security keys/access cards. Depending on the number of car space/garages, one (1) key/remote (if applicable) is provided for each space.

Should you request additional building access key or swipe/remote ie you live in apartment block, you will need to request this by emailing US. Once received, your property manager will contact the Strata/building manager to ask for cost and method of payment. You will need to make payment first and been notified by US or the Strata/building manager directly when the key/security devices are ready for collection. Please note that some buildings place a restriction on the number of swipe/remotes issued for each apartment/car space.

What happens if I lose my keys or lock them in the property?

If this happens during business hours, please contact US prior to you coming to our office to confirm that the master keys are in the office. You will need to provide us with your ID to ensure we are lending our keys to the leaseholder/s. Borrowed keys must be returned during the same business day to our office. If you are not the leaseholder, we will require written or verbal consent from the leaseholder before being able to lend you our keys.

If you are locked out after hours or our office does not hold a set of your keys, you will need to contact a locksmith at your own cost. If the locksmith needs to change the locks, under legislation, you will need to provide the office with a copy of all new keys as per the above.

Our recommended 24/7 Locksmith: Alert Locksmiths: 02 9418 9277

Put this number in your phone – They will come to your rescue!

Am I allowed to hang things on the walls?

Your lease will outline that you are not allowed to puncture any walls without permission.
If there are no existing hooks and you decide that you want to hang things on the walls, you need to seek permission from the landlord before doing so. This can be done by emailing US your request including which rooms and how many hooks you are planning to put up.

The owner is not legally required to allow you to alter their property in this way and it can be viewed as damage to the property. This means that when your lease ends you will be required to reinstate the walls to the condition they were in at the beginning of your lease.

If you go ahead and put up picture hooks without permission, you are required to remove the hook, patch the hole, sand and paint the whole wall to a professional standard prior to vacating. If we deem the standard is not professional, we will arrange this on your behalf and you will be expected to pay the invoice.

PLEASE NOTE: Although temporary (adhesive) picture hooks are marketed as easy to remove, they can and often do damage paint work when removed.  If damage to the walls occurs, it will be at your expense to have them repaired and this can be very costly.

What happens when my lease expires?

Yay – your want to stay!
If you want a new lease when your current lease is near expiring, please contact US. We will seek instruction from your Landlord and if all parties agree we will prepare a new lease for you to sign. It is at this point you may be notified of a potential rent increase.

Time to head off?
If you have decided to move on when your lease finishes you must give US a minimum of 14 days written notice, prior to your end of lease date. If your lease is already expired, no problem, don’t forget to give US a minimum 21 days notice in writing.

Download the ‘Notice to Vacate’ Form HERE

What if I need to move out before the end of my lease?

Sorry you’re leaving US early!

It happens and we can work together to get this sorted! This is known as a ‘Lease Break’. In accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act and your lease agreement, you are required to:

– Give US written notice of your intention to break your lease (see link below).

– Notify us of a date you will be vacating the property so we can prepare it ready for re-leasing.

– Pay associated fees as per your Residential Tenancy Agreement relating to lease break.
(Check out Office of Fair Tradings information regarding breaking a lease) https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/housing-and-property/renting/ending-a-tenancy/breaking-a-lease-early

If you know someone who wishes to lease the property, they are required to complete the application process as normal. You can discuss this with your property manager in more detail, however it is important that you understand there is no guarantee that this application will be approved.

Download the ‘Notice to Vacate – Lease Break’ form HERE

How do I report repairs and maintenance needed at the property?

In your TENANT PORTAL – Tenant Access, you can easily log your maintenance by clicking “New Maintenance” and entering all the required details. Don’t forget to upload your images and as much detail as possible. Leave it to US and we will be in touch very soon.

OR Simply complete this form

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Max. file size: 64 MB.
    Please use the agents keys for the tradesperson to access the property Photo/s of repair/maintenance

If your repair is Urgent, please feel free to call one of US and we can assist you further.

What is an Urgent Repair? Please see the following link : https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/housing-and-property/renting/during-a-tenancy/getting-repairs-done

How and when do I get my bond returned?


– you do not owe any money at the end of the tenancy,

– all keys and access card/remotes have been returned on the final day of tenancy, and

– the property has been left clean and in reasonable condition taking into consideration fair wear and tear

Then the bond that you paid at the beginning of your tenancy should be refunded to you in full. This can take a few days, depending on the condition in which you leave the property and the owner’s permission to release the bond. If there are any deductions to be made on the bond, our office will advise you of this first in writing and a claim will be made against your bond.

What is ‘fair wear and tear’?

Fair wear and tear generally means damage that can occur due to the ordinary day to day use of a place (ie worn carpet in high traffic areas) and the ordinary operation of natural forces (ie sunlight, rain etc).

You as the tenant cannot negligently or intentionally cause or permit any damage to the premises.

Some examples of negligent, irresponsible or intentional damage include:

Water stains to carpets due to pot plants
Damage to carpet from stains or burns
Damage to curtains by pets
Badly scratched tiles or timber floors
Burns or scratches on bench tops
Holes in walls from the removal of picture hooks